Nigerians are now more open to travelling than ever before. With a number of countries to visit, your travel history somehow seems incomplete if you haven’t been to either of the United Kingdom, United States of America or Dubai. If you’re looking to travel to the United Kingdom anytime soon, we would be explaining everything you need to apply for a UK Visa in Nigeria. The United Kingdom is one of many iconic countries in the world with numerous sights to see and explore in places like Piccadilly Circus, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace to name a few.
If you have a valid Nigerian e-passport and you are interested in a UK visa application in Nigeria, this article is for you. We will inform you on types of visa you need for your travel, requirements, fees and processing period for your UK visa. We’re breaking down the much needed information you’ll be needing for your application.
There are different types of visas and they include tourist, business, work, visit, permanent resident and student visas.
Standard Visitor Visa
For tourist or visiting trips to the United Kingdom, you can apply as a standard visitor. It allows you apply
- As a tourist – covers leisure, going on holiday or to see your family and friends
- For business, or to take part in sports or creative events; say you’re coming in for a conference, meeting or training or want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.
- To receive private medical treatment (6 months and more by extension)
Short term visa (up to 6 months, single or multiple entries) – $125
2 years visa – $472
5 years visa – $857
10 years visa – $1,074
This type is divided into 3 tiers; tier 1, tier 2 and permitted paid engagement visa
- Tier 1 Visa (Entrepreneur)
If you want to set up, invest in or run a business in the UK. However, you must have access to at least £50,000 investment funds to apply for this type of visa. Alternatively, if you want to visit for business related activities and not to actually set up a business, you may also apply for the Standard Visitors visa.
- Tier 2 Visa
This category is for ‘skilled workers’ from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) with a job offer in the UK. Before you can apply you must have received a job offer from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; you should also have a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your employer; and pass the points-based assessment. A Tier 2 (General) visa can allow you stay for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days and you can also bring your family along with you.
- Permitted Paid Engagement Visa
Required by applicants who have been invited by a UK based client or company to take part in some work.
Tier 1 & 2 visa – Ranges from $547 to $2185
Permitted paid engagement visa – Ranges between $150 – $250 depending on applicant’s industry
Permanent Residence Visa
A permanent residence permit enables the holder all the rights of a UK citizen. To qualify, you must have eligibility either via ancestry (grandparents), lawful stay, marriage, family, business person, skilled labour, and investor. Other important factors necessary to your application are if
- You currently have the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) tier 1, tier 2, study, work visa etc
- You’ve been legally living in the UK for 5 years and spent no more than 6 months / 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months
- You’ve been employed or self-employed for the whole period
- You haven’t used public funds in the UK
*You’ll not qualify for permanent residence if you’ve got a criminal record in the UK or another country, provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office, broken UK immigration law.
Visa application fee varies depending on how you qualify, either through ancestry, family etc. Fee ranges from $694 – $2,050
- Tier 4 (Child)
For students between 4 and 17 years old who want to study in independent UK schools.
- Tier 4 (General)
For students over 16 years old who want to study in the UK.
- Short Term Study
This is for students who want to study in the UK for less than six months. Ideal if you want to do a short course of study or research in the UK.
Tier 4 for general student visas – $469
Short term child student visas (up to 6 months, single or multiple entry) – $125
Short term child student visas (up to 2 years) – $472
Short term child student visas (up to 5 years) – $857
Short term child student visas (up to 10 years) – $1,074.
Short term study visa – Ranges from $130 to $251
Each type of visa requires its own documentation, be sure to check via the UK Government website HERE or better still a UK embassy closest to you. General documents to supplement your application includes –
- Application form filled out fully in capital letters and signed by the applicant.
- The required visa fee
- Original, signed Nigeria passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity.
- Passport photo taken within the last 6 months and with a white background.
- Copy of round trip tickets or itinerary – where applicable.
- Copies of bank statements from the past 6 months.
- Original marriage certificate for those travelling with their spouses.
- Parents travelling with children should have original copies of the birth certificates.
- Recent utility bills.
- A letter from your employer/school (on business letterhead, with contact details), stating that you are a staff and will be returning to your current job. If you are self-employed, include a copy of your certificate of incorporation and any other registration documents. For business visitors; signed business letter from the host company in United Kingdom explaining the purpose of the trip and dates of travel
- Copy of hotel reservations or if visiting friends or family, you must provide letter of invitation with the contact information of the host and visitor, purpose and duration of the visit. You will also need to provide proof of the host’s status in United Kingdom
- Photocopy of passport data page
In Nigeria, applications are received in Abuja and Lagos. Once submitted, you may have to visit your nearest visa application centre to have your biometric information captured. It’s always a good idea to at least 3 months before the date you intend to travel.
UK Visa Application handling company in Nigeria is TLS Contact Processing Services Ltd. Their physical addresses can be found below:
Ground & First Floors, Etiebets Place, 21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja
1st Floor, Churchgate Tower 2, Plot PC31 Churchgate Street, Victoria Island.
3rd floor, El Yakub Plaza, plot 1129 Zakariya Maimalari street, opposite War college, Central Business Area.
Contact us to help with your Visa processing and migration assistance
You can visit our office, call or email us at:
Address: 4 Oyetubo Street Ikeja, Off Obafemi Awolowo Way, Lagos.
Phone Number: +2348075302113, +14167978856
Get a Free Immigration Assessment
Click here to fill the form online and we’ll get back to you withing 48 hours!